Worldwide PC market to post 10.1 per cent drop
- Published on Tuesday, 10 March 2015 15:47
- Marilou Odulio
- 0 Comments
Consumers in particular are shifting away from PCs to devices like tablets and smartphones, leading the consumer market to fare worse than corporate demand this year. At IDC’s projected sales rates, shipments worldwide will stay at just more than 300 million through 2017, or barely above 2008 levels – raising concerns for PC-dependent companies like HP and Microsoft.
One bright spot for Microsoft is IDC’s forecast for tablets based on its Windows software. Shipments of the devices are projected to rise to 40.8 million in 2017, from less than 9 million this year, the researcher said.
This is different from Facebook’s often-cited mobile advertising problem, back when it was having trouble getting its own users into its app. The company seems to have solved that one. Instead, it’s an indication that the network effects that have made it largely invincible hold less sway on mobile phones. Smaller companies are coming along and poking holes at Facebook’s weak points, then doing a better job of something the giant company doesn’t do so well.
This is underlined by Facebook’s recent disclosure that growth among American teenagers has flattened and the social network is actually losing users among younger teens. Facebook can’t just put out a competitor to some upstart that catches on with the kids and condemn the new app to oblivion—just as it can’t simply buy off every teen-friendly threat it sees coming.
- Snapchat exceeds Twitter in popularity - May 3, 2015
- Accused of infecting PCs to mine for Bitcoins, gaming company settles for $1.08m - April 28, 2015
- How to Get More People to Engage with Your Email Marketing Campaigns - April 24, 2015
- How to Collect Future Users Before an Android App is Launched - April 23, 2015
- Silicon Valley Partying - April 22, 2015
- 11 Lessons the World’s Largest Online Retailers Spent Millions to Learn - April 21, 2015
- Why the tech revolution could soon be televised: If you develop mobile apps, you must tune in to this - April 20, 2015
- Google joins competition in the cloud - April 17, 2015
- Mobile App Best Practices: How to Make a Mobile App that Attracts Customers Like Crazy - April 16, 2015
- How Long Should Your Landing Page Be? - April 15, 2015